Monday, April 1, 2013

Punished by a Bloodthrister

A Bloodthirster, by Games Workshop


This week, I encountered a Bloodthrister for the first time in 6th Edition. I was lucky enough to avoid one during my brief stint with 5th so I have no comparison between the new 6th Ed version and the old codex. What I do know is the current version is terrifying!





One friend had recently bought the Daemons codex and another the Dark Angels codex, both are very new to 6th and last played in 4th Ed. I invited them round to play a couple proxy games while they worked out what units to buy. The first game saw 1500 points of dark angels, square off against 1000 points daemons and 500 allied Chaos Marines (I was the marines, so I had something to do while they played, but so as I wasn’t in the way of them learning 6th.)

Anyway, over the ensuing six turns I watched the Bloodthrister take down 5 Termies, 20 Marines, 5 Scouts and a Dreadnought without really breaking a sweat, all the while my Khorne Berzerkers just drove about the battlefield in a Rhino, arriving at combats only in time to gather up the body parts of Dark Angels. The carnage this one Bloodthirster caused was enough to make the Dark Angels player immediately revise his list, and while I wasn’t on the receiving end, I was secretly worrying what on Earth (or should that be Terra) my usual army of Traitor Guard could do to stop it?

Much pondering this weekend has led me to a tank that I have overlooked several times while making guard lists, one which I’ve never played against or even seen anyone use. Also, after a brief scouring of the internet, it seems this tank merely draw snorts of derision when it does show up anyway.

The tank in question is the Leman Russ Punisher, but not any old Punisher, this one costs 250 points (incidentally the same as a Bloodthirster) and comes with Knight Commander Pask sitting in the turret and 3 heavy bolters adorning it’s hull. I think this is a totally worthwhile investment in points and over the following couple of paragraphs I’m going to attempt to lay out why. Then, when I can get a game in with one I’ll let you know just how right I was!


Key Stats:


Pask

For me Pask is the key to moving this tank from my least favourite of the Russ variants, to almost compulsory in 1500+ point games. He gives the tank BS4, rather than it’s usual 3, and I believe his ‘crack shot’ special rule is most useful in this tank. For those who don’t know, ‘crack shot’ allows the tank to add 1 to it’s roll to penetrate a vehicle or to re-roll failed wounds against monstrous creatures.


Survivability

It’s no good investing 250 points if you’re going to lose it first turn. But with armour of 14, 13, 11 the Punisher is a highly survivable tank. On side armour even the mighty Lascannon needs a 5 to penetrate so excusing some particularly lucky rolling (or a lot of dedicated anti-tank firepower) the Punisher should be around for a few turns at least.


Damage

The Punisher Gatling Cannon spews out 20 (yup, twenty) Strength 5, AP- shots. With three heavy bolters as well, that’s 29 Str 5 shots. Light infantry really don’t want to come near this thing, and even a combat squad of marines is going to be in trouble despite the poor AP, just due to volume of fire. I think 250 points for 29 strength 5 shots is a fair trade.


Versatility

It’s no good spending 250 points on something that only serves one purpose. If that one purpose doesn’t show up for a game, then that’s 250 points down the drain. Fortunately, I see the Punisher as a very versatile tank too. Obviously, poorly armoured or low toughness infantry are mincemeat, there’s no argument there. However, with Pask those 29 shots should bring down most monstrous creatures in one turn of firepower (re-rolling wounds). Additionally, thanks to Pask, the Punisher can glance armour 12 (+1 str when rolling to pen), and with 29 shots should be able to down any transport or light vehicle in one round. Thanks to the volume of fire, vehicle squadrons such as sentinels or war-walkers could lose the whole squadron to glancing hits, let alone a couple of good penetrates. Finally, those 29 shots could be pointed skywards, and even without skyfire I’d hope to down a flyer due to most having AV11, and once again, thanks to Pasks ‘crack-shot’ rule.


The Science Bit

Far be it from me to just rely on verbatim, however, so if my flowery rhetoric above hasn’t persuaded you, lets break down the numbers. (Note: I’m not big on mathhammer, which is why I’m keen to try this tank out in a few games and report back, but at the moment it’s all we’ve got to go on.)




Infantry

Marine equivalent troops are highly prevalent in 40k, and are the standard basis for most math-hammer. So let us see how we do against marines first.

29 shots at BS4 gives us an average of = 19.1 hits

19.1 shots at Str 5 vs. Toughness 4 gives us = 12.6 wounds

12.6 wounds after 3+ armour saves totals = 4.2 dead marines

While this isn’t that amazing, from experience I average about 3-4 dead marines with a standard battlecannon armed Russ, assuming it doesn’t scatter off target. So without knowing how to math-hammer templates, I would argue it was more reliable than a standard Russ against marines, due to the possibility of scatter and 2-inch coherency, anti-pie plate formations.





Monstrous Creatures

This all started, due to my being scared of a Bloodthirster, so it seems only fair to use T6, and 3+ save as out monstrous creature test. Math-hammer is in shorter form from now on.

29 shots = 19.1 hits

19.1 vs. T6 = 10.5 wounds (after re-rolling failed wounds)

10.5 vs. 3+ save = 3.5 wounds after saves



He's sure glad he carries that wall around!
Hmmm…The mathhammer doesn’t look good here. After all those shots the Bloodthirster suffers only 3 wounds. This is disappointing, as you only really get one chance to stop this thing before he eats the tank. However, it’s definitely a start, hopefully something else in my army will be shooting it too, and we might bring it down. This is one of those where real world examples are needed, because the Bloodthirster and Punisher don’t exist in a vacuum. As far as math-hammer goes though, I accept it won’t kill it in one round. But three wounds are better than 1500 points of Dark Angels managed!


Vs. T5 monstrous creature (out of interest)

29 shots = 19.1 hits

19.1 vs T5 = 14.4 wounds

14.4 vs 3+ save = 4.8 wounds after saves

This would down my Tzeentchian DP, so should deal with most T5 monstrous creatures.




Land-Based Armour

While I accept the Punisher will do about as well as a lasgun against a Landraider, there’s other purposeful anti-tank stuff I’d be shooting at it (probably melta’s wielded by Rough Riders). However, for all the lighter vehicles up to Armour 12, the Punisher poses a serious threat.



Vs. Armour 11

19.1 hits Vs A11 = 6.3 glance or better



Vs. Armour 12

19.1 hits Vs. A12 = 3.2 glance or better



Looking at these results any light vehicle should be toast in one round from the punisher. Even Armour 12 isn’t proof thanks to Pask. Squadrons of armour 10 or 11 vehicles could really be in trouble too, due to the amount of glances.



Flyers

Being the poster boy of 6th Ed 40k, it’s unusual to come into a game and not face at least one flyer. I’ve struggled with the balance between adding something into my armour to take them out (usually an Aegis with Quad) or taking no anti-air and hoping to ignore them. I feel the Punisher fits this gap nicely. While it doesn’t have sky-fire it has a lot of shots, some of which have to get 6’s to hit. After that, it’s all up to Pask’s ‘crack-shot’ rule.



Vs. Armour 11 Flyers

4.8 hits vs A11 = 1.6 glances



Vs. Armour 12 Flyers

4.8 hits vs A12 = 0.8 glances



The results against flyers are underwhelming. Hitting on a 6 really does reduce the effectiveness of the Punisher. However, if there’s nothing better to shoot at, at least you should be getting one glance or better against any flyer.



So there you have it, a list of numbers and some words to twist them to my own ends. Seriously though, if I head down to my local store for a pick-up game, and don’t know who I’ll be facing, I’ll definitely be adding one of these to my list, as a real jack-of-all-trades. In fact, I’m currently assembling one for my Traitor Guard to put my money where my mouth is.

I'm putting a Chaos Marine in the turret (when i find suitable arms and head) to represent the Traitors, and the BS4.
As always, Let me know what you think, does the Punisher have what it takes to make the grade against all the other Russ variants, or have I got this tank totally wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment