Saturday, March 2, 2013

THE PAINTBRUSH IS MIGHTER THAN THE SWORD.


Hello gamers. Many thanks to Gravius with his excellent post earlier, and I can tell you from personal experience that this army that favours fluff over force is more than capable of holding its own in a fight!  Please leave some comments on the post and help Gravius with his basing dilemma (I have already posted my suggestion)

So, now onto my post for this week and I have a topic to discuss that I think applies to all gamers out there and more so to older gamers. What topic is this then I hear you all ask, (or could just be my mind playing tricks on me!) The topic my friends is how do we find time to get our beloved miniatures painted.  As I mentioned in my post last week I am currently in the process of trying to get an 1800 points Grey Knights army complete by the 6th April for the Immortal Warzone 40k tournament. After a promising start I have find myself lagging behind due to all the modern day pressures we all face, work, partners, day to day trials and tribulations etc. which we all have to deal with and rob us of our hobby time.  With this I thought I would post some motivational tips on how to keep persevering with your painting projects when the world seems determined to stop you and hopefully get some feedback from you guys, the gamers, with your tips on making the most of your hobby time.

INQUISITOR COTEAZ PROTECTOR OF THE FORMOSA SECTOR.
 
 
Do something every day. This a rule I have made for myself and I find it does help. I always make myself do something with my current painting project each day. That can be either sitting down for a good 2 -3 hours and getting some quality painting time in, or if I don’t have the time for that on that particular day then I try to at least get a host of miniatures undercoated with the spray can or glue models together. If you do something every day then on the times you do get to have a good crack at it all the ‘small things’ you have done pave the way and will save you time. Another benefit I find from doing something every day is that you will see progress with you army / character and for me personally when I can see progress with my current project that fuels me to push on.
A GREY KNIGHT JUSTICAR STANDS VICTORIUS AGAINST A NURGLE DAEMON.

If you are not in the mood, don’t push it. After just preaching to you all saying do something every day this might seem an odd thing to say but I am sure we have all had times when we are simply not in the mood to paint. If I ever find myself lacking in creativity then I will either glue some models together or undercoat a current batch ready for when my creative juices return. If you try forcing yourself to paint I personally find that can do more harm than good and can demotivate you from the task at hand. So to put it simply, if you are not in the mood to paint crack open a beer and enjoy a good book instead!

Be organised. This really can be a massive help in getting painting projects, particularly large army projects, done on time. With my current Grey Knights project I pointed up all the miniatures I had to see where I was points wise which was 1298 points. By doing this I could see I had a good basis of an army already and with the points left over to get to 1800 points I knew I would have to make some new acquisitions aka buy some new shiny shiny! By doing this it gave me the motivation to get what I already have painted and completed so I can move onto getting new models for my army.
BROTHER ARGO SMASHES INTO A NEST OF SPORE MINES.
 

And finally the most important tip… enjoy yourself! Painting your armies / characters should be an enjoyable experience .If you find yourself getting frustrated don’t push it, glue some models together instead. If you are feeling overwhelmed with the amount of models you need to get painted then do some organisational process to make it easier for yourself eg. Set certain days to paint certain units.  And on that note I am off to do some painting! Thank you for reading and please get in touch by dropping a comment below or if you prefer a more direct means of communication you can email us at contactgamesknight@gmail.com. Till next time, happy painting and keep rolling sixes.

No comments:

Post a Comment